Sunday, January 3, 2016

Meditation is hard!

Ok so on the path of being more "awesome" this year (thank you Kid President) I have started the 30 day Meditation Challenge via DoYouYoga.com (I highly recommend this site for all of the instructors as they are fabulous!)  Anyway, so as I'm trying to figure out myself - as this is the year of me - I want to try meditation.

I'll be honest, I totally got the idea about meditation through Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I will also admit, I saw the movie first but then I had to read the book...and then I read the book after that, Committed which is definitely a book to read a you contemplate marriage and relationships, but I digress.  When Julia Roberts goes to India to Pray she learns some invaluable lessons about herself.  She learns two important lessons, the first is that she is never in control until she lets herself go.  She must let go before she is able to throughly be at peace with her choices, with her love, with herself.



The part of the book that discusses meditation is key and just as influential as places such s the Mayo Clinic which describes meditation as:  "Meditation can wipe away the day's stress, bringing with it inner peace."  Yet the way it is described and shown within the book and movie makes me want to dig deeper into meditation and taking control of my own thoughts and abilities. So here I am in the midst of the 30 day meditation challenge and its hard.  I know I will make the 30 days as I feel extremely committed and I firmly believe in the research that shows the increased benefits of meditation but I just wish it was easier.  I'm only involved with 10 minutes of meditation a day but I have problems focusing and keeping it together for that time period.  I know that at one point Elizabeth Gilbert is able to sustain her meditation and get to the point that you hear about from people who have practiced meditation all over the world.  I have faith that one day that group will also include me but for now it doesn't.  And that's ok as I still have my running.

No comments: