Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Oh the first experience in mailing a package...

It's a week before Christmas and of course some of the things I ordered here took 9 days instead of 3-4.  Which put me a bit behind in shipping my box.  Last night I wrapped as much as I could (take that as in what I should do but was also able to convince my sister to do for me LOL).  I then proceed to pack the box and wrap it in brown paper.  So it's all set to run to the post office in the morning - a week before Christmas.  I live in a Muslim country so this should be pretty simple from shipping here to the US...oh poor mistaken American that I am.

Come to find out you can only ship 2 kg to the US from the UAE.  So after repacking (aka having to buy their boxes and separate my stuff into 2 boxes to get it within weight).  And spending way more money than I was hoping it would be the packages are in the mail - with a 1-2 week time that they should be there....but we shall see.  So for my family reading this...it may or may not be there in time - sorry!

The good news is that B and I have been meeting new friends and enjoying the lovely weather here in the UAE (daily highs in high 70s and low 80s with nightly lows to 50s or 60s).  It has been amazing to see the Christmas spirit here as well.  Most of the hotels have tree lightings and caroling as well as finding Christmas stuff in all of the stores - there are 2 things I can't find when it comes to the Christmas season though - that would be peppermint flavoring and chocolate covered cherries.   Oh well, now I know what to add to my list this summer of things to bring back!

But speaking of Christmas Brennan was able to see Santa...after 2.5 hours.  I will honestly say that it was well worth the wait.  Santa Claus at the Wafi Mall in Dubai is amazing!  He's in a separate room from the line of children waiting and spends quality time with each child.  He got down on the floor with Brennan and talked to her and it was just an amazing experience.  Plus he gave her a doll and named her Jill so that she could take it with her!

No comments: